Sunday, June 17, 2012

J.R.R Tolkien's The Hobbit

This month's book at my book club was Tolkien's The Hobbit.  I hadn't read the book since I was a tween so I thought it would be a refreshing reread of a classic that started the whole fantasy genre as we know it today.  So here are some grown up, more analytical observations of the book.

First, who was organizing this party?  Let's restore an ancient kingdom and steal it, and it's treasure, back from a powerful dragon using a group comprised of one third level wizard, twelve first level bards, and one first level thief.  Where's the cleric to heal them?  Where are the fighters?  At least one meat shield and one long range fighter.  Maybe a ranger or two to help them get through the wilderness without being on the verge of starvation all of the time.  Come on guys, expeditions of this magnitude take planning to succeed.  They seemed to be winging it right from the get-go.

Okay, now that I got that out of the way, let's focus on what is great about this book.  With this book and the Lord of The Rings trilogy, Tolkien created a modern genre based on epic legend and folktale.  Much of what has followed him is derivative of his work and vision in some way.  Even my two Clouded Skye novels blatantly borrow ideas from his work.

The songs and poetry in the book are actually good.  The first time I read the book as a kid, I skimmed those parts.  This time, they were part of the experience and added a richness to the story I missed the first time around.

The third person omniscient style is not normally my thing.  I usually prefer third person limited or first person.  Tolkien's use of the omniscient played out well in making the scope of the adventure feel large and world changing.

This is a book every fantasy fan should read.  Is it perfect?  No, it was the first of its kind, not necessarily the best of its kind.  But, it is still a great book and worth the time to immerse yourself into the world of Middle Earth.

1 comment:

Mira Stone said...

I really like the Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit, it's just that the way he has tons of paragraphs that seem to take up half the page makes my eyes cross. I can't even really stand to have someone read them to me. Though I love how he was the first of his kind but I really can't seem to actually poke my head into the books. Maybe sometime I'll be able to...